Monday, June 17, 2024

Father's Day with 100,000 People

Since both of my children were far away on Father’s Day and Regis was volunteering at the food bank, I was on my own for Father’s Day this year. Now, to be fair, both children did celebrate the day early so I was not really ignored. Instead I spent part of the day with 100,000 other folk here in Toronto. 



I subscribe to a couple of websites featuring events in Toronto and I discovered that there was The Yorkville Exotic Car Show on Father’s day running for two long street blocks on Bloor St which is a short walk from the condo. This is apparently an annual event where they close the usually busy Bloor St. From Yonge St. to Avenue Rd., lay down a long red carpet and feature beautiful cars parked in groups along the street for us PetrolHeads to wander along and view all the cars most of us cannot afford. 


I walked up and actually had to cue just to get onto the street even though admission was free; there were that many people there. Apparently last year over 100,000 people were there, and judging by the crowds I had to fight to actually see the cars, there were at least that many this year. 



This was not your usual “car gathering”, this really was an Exotic car show, with rows of Ferraris, Porsches, Aston Martins, Lotus’, Maseratis and private collection of classic vehicles, along with a few private vehicles mixed among the Exotics. 


It was an interesting event, with lots of very nice cars, and amazing crowds of people. I went to take some photos of the cars and this proved VERY hard because you usually had to wait for others to move out of the way just to get close enough to a car to get a picture, and just moving along the “red carpet” was a “move with the crowd” affair. I am always amazed by the people who feel that “my dog will love this event”, or let’s take the kids out in the giant “yuppy” stroller, and I am sure that many of the people in the crowds had little interest in the cars, they were there to see and be seen. 


So you know what is coming . . . . that’s right, lots of pictures of cars, so those not interested can leave now if you want. 















No comments:

Post a Comment