Wednesday, November 8, 2023

Sculpture

Sharing the bench with a statue

When I spent a couple of months in China just after I retired, I had time to explore the city of Suzhou where I was living and I discovered interesting sculptures all over the city. I was intrigued because most of them had no explanation of what they were all about or why they were installed. Since then I have begun noticing city sculptures wherever I am.  I wrote another post featuring sculptures in Florida as well, but I have collected photos of city sculptures from all over the world. 


The Queen is under there
Here in Toronto I have collected quite a few interesting sculpture photos during my wanderings around the city. Here, most of the statues and art installations do have some descriptions of what they are about and the artist is usually given credit for their work. Some of the sculptures are to honour some respected historical figure but many are simply decorations for buildings here in the city. Yesterday during a walk around Queen’s Square in Downtown, we came across an unveiling of a new sculpture in front of the provincial legislature. The statue itself was covered in an elegant cloth waiting for the reveal, but I later heard that it was a new statue honouring Queen Elizabeth. 


Here are a few of the sculptures I have found so far during my time here.   




























These last sculptures decorates our condo complex. They were being installed a few years ago when Ryan & Ben bought the condo. They are stainless steel pieces and are installed outside and inside the two buildings in the RadioCity complex. I recently discovered that they were designed to represent segments of the original CBC broadcast tower which once stood on the site; thus the name "RadioCity". 

1 comment:

  1. Very cool. I love this post. It's nice that you've got all of these pictures in a collection. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete