Sunday, March 20, 2022

The Maple Leaf Gardens

As a proud Canadian, I apologize for my lack of interest in our National sport of Hockey. As a young fellow, most of my friends were devoted hockey fans, so I felt I really should be a fan. I tried to watch the games and develop an interest in it, but I just could not find much to interest me. I have been able to develop an interest in football, and by helping coach my daughter’s softball teams, I did learn to like the intricacies of baseball and fastball . . . . . .but hockey not so much . . . . . sorry! 


BUT, this post is about a proud hockey institution, the Maple Leaf Gardens. This famous hockey arena was built on the corner of Carlton St and Church St. In 1931 to provide a place to seat the Toronto Maple Leafs’ many fans. It became the home to the team for over 60 years from 1931 to 1999 when the team moved to the Scotiabank Arena. 

The gardens under construction in 1931


When my son and his partner purchased a condo in downtown Toronto I discovered that it was just blocks from this historical institution. I was however, surprised to discover that it is now a Loblaws grocery store. Like many “historical” buildings this one was converted to a more current use but the original facade was maintained. Apparently there are still multi-use sports facilities on an upper level that is used by Ryerson University, but the main section of the building is now a grocery store with a LCBO and a clothing store above it. It is a large, attractive well designed grocery store but it is odd to enter the old Maple Leaf Gardens to buy your milk and bread.


 The main entrance to the store is interesting in that they have left the inside of the original facade in place so you can see some of the original colours and the outline of the seating areas. As well, above a nice new escalator taking you up to the LCBO they have attached a jumble of the seats from arena in the shape of a huge blue maple leaf, and scattered throughout the store are murals and signs displaying information about the original facility.


Unfortunately, the only ice to be found is keeping the seafood fresh, and the only leaves are green in the form of vegetables. 


Lots of old seating - now a maple leaf

A mural all about the old Gardens

The main entrance to the store


One of the information plaques

Loblaws Grocery Store

The Original Facade



No comments:

Post a Comment