Monday, August 5, 2024

Dog-sitting Coco

I am a “dog Person”, I like dogs and most dogs like me. I grew up living with dogs, but I early on realized that actually owning a dog tied you down even more than having children, and I have never actually owned a dog. Instead I get my doggie fixes with other people’s dogs. Over the years, I have looked after many different dogs and usually get along fine with them. 


Here in Toronto there is no shortage of dogs and our condo building is very pet friendly with many dogs and cats. I have met many of the canine inhabitants of the building going up and down the elevator, and I often stop to meet dogs while out walking around the city. 


One day my son asked if I would be interested in dog sitting a friends dog while they went away to Spain. They live in the East End of the city, so this would give us a chance to explore another area while we stayed in their condo to look after the dog, so I said I might be interested so long as I met the dog and got along with her. The friends were also keen to ensure that I was actually a “qualified”, dog sitter and also wanted us to visit and see how their pet reacted, as she was not the most friendly individual. She was a “rescue” and was not always comfortable with new people, so a visit was arranged. 

I am not interested in meeting you!


She barked at us when we arrived, but apparently this is quite normal, but unlike most new dogs I meet, she was very shy and did not immediately come to see me with wagging tail. On one of our walks, I was walking by a park and a dog that was running around playing with it’s owner, stopped when he saw me and immediately came across the park to see me to get a greeting and a pat from the “dog person”. The owner came over and exclaimed, “you must be someone special, he has never done that before!”. I explained to Ryan’s friends that I felt comfortable with their Coco, and I felt we would get along fine once she got to know me. 


I’m sure they discussed it once we left, but we were told a few days later that if we were willing they would like us to look after their Coco when they were away. 

Ok, time to go home

On the day they were to leave, I arrived, armed with treats and multi-page instructions on the correct Coco care, and drove them to the Airport. When we returned to the condo, Coco was obviously disappointed to see that it was not her “parents” returning, and she ignored me, taking the offered treat and going to her spot in the living room. 


When her walk time arrived, she allowed me to put on her harness and she took me on a walk that she obviously was used to, but it was her who decided where to go and how long the walk was, and when we came back she again took a treat and went back to her “spot”. 


Then in the middle of the night, we realized that a warm black furry body had snuggled up with us on the bottom the bed. Coco had obviously decided we were Okay, and we are now dealing with a happy friendly dog who likes to be wherever we are. It should be a pleasant week dog sitting.

I guess I have decided you really are a "Dog Person"


No comments:

Post a Comment